Click on the pictures to learn more about the emigrants and their families.
Your own genealogy researcher
The local swedish genealogists
Our local swedish genealogists are specialists in their own area.
For that reason You have to tell us were in Skaraborg or elswhere you have your roots. This so you get the right local swedish genealogists.
To get in touch with a local swedish genealogist you need to do a deposit of $800 wich are nonrefundable. By this the genealogy research start.
The projectleader for Adventure Skaraborg is the first person you have contact with in Sweden. She do the matching traveler - local swedish genealogist.
Please read the instructions below and fill in the Genealogy Query Form.
If you don’t have so much information don’t hesitate. We will try to help you in the search to find information about your immigrant in US which are needed to do research in Sweden so you can take part in the Adventure Skaraborg August 27 – September 5 2018.
Information which is needed to do research in Sweden
- Full Name - first names and last name
- Date of birth YYMMDD
- Place of birth - parish and provicence
- Date of emigration
- With whom the emigration took place
- Destination in US
Full Name - first names and last name
- The full names of the ancestor who emigrated from Sweden and immigrated to US. First name and last name. The swedes left often with a patronymicon name.
In US they changed it to another or kept it. Ex 1 - Johan August Johansson changed to August Dahlstrand. Ex 2 - Mårten Erick Hammar changed to Martin Hammer.
Date of birth YYYYMMDD
- You need to know when your ancestor was born YYYYMMDD. In Sweden many people hade the same names. It's common in Sweden that in a parish and a year children has the same first and patronymicon.
Looking for a Christina Larsdotter B 1852 in a parish and you find three with the same name. Which one is yours?
Place of birth - parish and provicence
- Birthparish is necessary to know. Province and län isn't enough, there are several parishes in each. There is also several parishes with same the name in Sweden.
Date of emigration
- If you know the year of the emigration it's a great help. It helps to find the emigrant in Swedish Passenger lists.
With whom the emigration took place
- Did the emigrant emigrated by her-/himself or with family members or with others? Who where they?
Destination in US
- Do you know the destination for the immigration in US? Where in US do you find the immigrant for the first time?
Where to find information in US
- Relatives of today
- Letters and photos from Sweden
- US Censuses
- Passport Application
- Already researched
Family members and relatives of today
- Contact the elder or any others of your family you think know something. They might have information and kept things from the emigrant. The familybible, letters and photos.
Letters and photos from Sweden
- Maybe the emigrant/immigrant had contact with his family in Sweden. Check if there are letters and photos left.
- Look up the obitary of the immigrants in a news paper or if someone has it saved.
- Try to find the gravestones of the immigrants. Contact the office of the cemetery for more information.
- In the census you find info about the year the emigration took place.
- Look for the Naturalization, the application to be a citizien of US.
- Maybe your ancestor visit her/his relatives in Sweden.
- Someone in the family or yourself have already made a genealogyresearch of the family in US and/or in Sweden.
International Business Developer
Address: Rockford, IL, US